Search on blog

5 apr 2013

Special 'SPARTACUS' WAR OF THE DAMNED ♥

Christian Antidormi of "Spartacus" Talks Caesar Rape and Taking Down Crixus
April 4, 2013

Christian Antidormi went to big heights the final Spartacus season as young Tiberius.
Only two episodes left to go for the Starz series Spartacus: War Of The Damned, and if you think the testosterone mix of blood, sex and tears is going to go out quietly, you’re mistaken in a big way.
In the previous episode, we saw our gay brother Agron (Dan Feuerriegel) tragically fall during battle, but it may have been an even bigger shock when Crixus, played by hunky Manu Bennett, died at the sword of young Tiberius, or "Tibby" as fans on this site have taken to calling him.
Will Spartacus (Liam McIntyre) and his remaining crew get their revenge on Tibby, Caesar (Todd Lasance) and Tibby’s father, Cassus (Simon Merrells)? Or will they continue to fall one by one until next week’s series finale?
For a glimpse into where we’ve been and what’s to come in War Of The Damned, I spoke with 20-year old Aussie actor Christian Antidormi, to talk about being a part of this epic series, that infamous Caesar rape scene and posing in a bathtub for a new photo book.
AE: You definitely had both physical challenges and emotional challenges on the show. How did it change you as an actor?
CA: 
It was some of the most challenging work that I’ve ever done. In saying that, it was the most satisfying as well. I love a challenge and being able to physically test yourself on screen and off screen and to be able to explore depths in a character that you can only ever dream of portraying, that was such a great challenging experience for me. To be able to do that at my age, I feel very fortunate.
AE: Tiberius does some things that are not so nice, like raping two different people over the course of the show. Did you see him as a villain?
CA: 
I didn’t really portray Tiberius as a villain. I think that’s what was so interesting about this final season is that both sides - the rebels and the Romans - had taken matters in such a way where it was really hard to distinguish who was in the wrong, who was bad and who was good.
Both sides were willing to do so much or willing to do anything to achieve their goal. I think with Tiberius, he was an eager and determined kid who was just willing to prove himself in his father’s eyes. As challenges were placed in front of him, his motivation just pushed him to really go above and beyond, and clearly was willing to do some pretty nasty things to get what he needed to get.
How did Tiberius tame his nemesis, Julius Caesar (Todd Lasance)? Rape!
AE: Let’s talk about the rape of Caesar. It was so intense to watch, but how was it to film such a scene?
CA: 
It was pretty hard to prepare for something like that. I was grateful to be working with such an amazing actor and person in Todd [Lasance] and T.J. [Scott, director] for directing that brutal scene. It was a challenge, and we really needed to put all of our consciousness aside for that role and just really be in that moment and just prepare ourselves.
There were little moments, like the guards, when they placed a bit of assault on Todd before it happened, that was quite brutal physically in itself. I think that sort of helped to put it all into perspective. We both sort of felt like we were lost out of our bodies at that time [and] we were just completely immersed in the characters. I guess that was pretty intense. I guess at the end of the day, gratifying to have achieved.
AE: How did you and Todd work together throughout most of the season? Most of the time Tiberius and Caesar are butting heads. Do you kind of stay distant from each other or…?
CA: 
We were very close throughout the entire season. I sort of saw him as an older brother to me. We trained together on and off set. We’d be constantly going over our lines and work shopping different ideas.The relationship between myself and Caesar and Crassus was such a crucial triangular element of the show that it really needed to be finessed. It was so good that we could have such a close camaraderie together and work off each other’s ideas. That was great.
Only 20 years old, Antidormi has surely made himself noticed on the final Spartacus season.
AE: Where do we see Tiberius and Caesar moving forward in these final episodes?
CA: 
Basically, at the end of [the last episode, 308], after such a pivotal moment in the entire series ofSpartacus in the death of Crixus and after what happened between myself and Caesar, you can tell that there is really only one step to go in achieving the goal of Rome. And that is to defeat Spartacus.
For Caesar, there is a bit of a hidden goal. He does want to ultimately get payback at Tiberius. That’s such a brutal thing to have done to anyone in Roman days. In those days, rape from a male to a male was considered a dominance thing. It was considered something that they would use to show who was more powerful. I think in [the next episode, 309], he’s definitely got a trick up his sleeve for Tiberius, and he’s willing to try to send him to his doom.
Also, gauging by the teaser trailer for episode 309, when Caesar is willing to trade 500 rebel soldiers captured in battle for Tiberius’ life…considering the relationship he has with Crassus, that’s a pretty big moment in the episode. It’s going to be quite controversial I think.

AE: How is Tiberius going to react when he’s in Spartacus’ camp? I’m guessing it’s not going to be a very friendly environment for him to be in.
CA: 
Basically Tiberius, ever since he got his position back from his father, he’s just been on this rage, and on this road of success. His first battle after finally getting his power back, he really put a dent of suffering in Spartacus’ camp. I think he’s prepared, and he doesn’t know what to expect. He thinks this is the last hurrah. After he’s in the rebel encampment…he does try to keep his dignity intact, and he’s not prepared to give himself up. He’s definitely willing to fight, even though he’s outnumbered.
How did Tibby thank sweet Kore (Jenna Lind) for helping him? Yep! He raped her!
AE: Tiberius is the one that kills Crixus because he puts that last spear in him. That’s a pretty big part in the show. Crixus has been there since day one and really it’s your sword through him that kind of ends him. Talk to me about that
CA: 
I think that was the biggest moment, personally in the season. When I first read that script I didn’t really know how to react. My first instinct was to go to the producers and ask them, ‘Look I don’t think that I’m worthy of performing such a deed.’ Crixus has such a strong fan base. His journey from season one to season four is incredible. He was such a forceful position in Spartacus’ rebel army. To perform that honor, for a Roman, there was nothing more honorable. For an actor, the same thing, there was noting more honorable than to perform that up against Crixus. That was tough.
AE: Looking at your background, you played soccer and you also worked in the music business and dancing. How do you picture what you just did with Spartacus in the course of all your work?
CA: 
It’s so interesting to look back on my past as a teenager because I did try to go through so many different things with sports and arts and to just try different things. I was always in a state of a little bit of confusion. I didn’t really know where I wanted to take my life. I guess introducing myself to all of those different things has led me to where I am today. So, I look back on it with no regrets.To have that flaring passion in acting is definitely my calling and it’s something that I’ve been very lucky to work with onSpartacus over the past 12 months.
Antidormi appears in T.J. Scott's upcoming In The Tub photo book with other Spartacus cast members
AE: Tell me about the In The Tub photo book. All you guys from Spartacus are in tubs so, of course, it caught my attention.
CA: 
The creator of that is TJ Scott who is one of the directors of Spartacus. He’s also a fantastic photographer. He had this concept of filming actors and artists and celebrities and musicians and sportsmen, recognized people from all around the world. To get them to shoot and then put them into a big coffee table book with all the proceeds going to breast cancer research. It’s a wonderful global campaign that he’s put together, and it’s been a success. He just finished his Kickstarter program and he raised almost 80 thousand dollars, which is fantastic for him. He’s going to get production underway and it should be available I think around July.
AE: What’s your next step? Where do you go after Spartacus?
CA: 
Hopefully upwards and onwards. I’m so lucky to have Spartacus on my back. It’s a crystal ball industry. We’ll see where the future takes me. I’m prepared for a challenge that’s for sure.

The final two episodes of Spartacus: War of the Damned airs at 10pm on April 5th and 12th at 10pm on Starz.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento