Search on blog

16 apr 2013

Special 'SPARTACUS' WAR OF THE DAMNED ♥

'Spartacus' star Dan Feuerriegel reflects on bloody series finale
Friday, April 12, 2013


For those few who might be on the fence about tuning into the series finale of “Spartacus: War of the Damned” (tonight at 9 on Starz), actor Dan Feuerriegel has some friendly ­advice — or is it a warning?
“The majority of the (episode) is full-on warfare, and characters could perish, and it is just ‘War of the Damned’ personified. The final episode is the title of the show,” the actor who plays the gladiator turned rebel warrior Agron told the Herald last week.
This season, Agron faced off against Caesar (Todd Lasance), later fell in battle and was nailed to a cross, and raged with jealousy over the fear of losing the love of his life, Nasir (Pana Hema Taylor).
The Australian actor, whose earlier credits include a stint on “McLeod’s Daughters,” reflected on how Agron has changed in the last season.
“You don’t really know too much of his backstory,” he commented. “The way I saw it, it was basically him and Duro, his brother. They were the only ones left of his family, and he finally lost him, and he’s just doing what he can to avenge his death and make him proud and then, of course, protect the one he loves — Nasir.
“Definitely, love is his driving force — love for his brother, love for Nasir, love for Spartacus, love for the cause, and love for blood, for death,” he said, then chuckling.
No one involved with the show expected the popularity of the couple dubbed “Nagron” by fans.
“I haven’t really had a proper think,” he said. “From the top of my head, I’d say there’s no other couple on TV that are like us. There’s never been a stamp to say we’re the gay couple. The relationship started from the beginning and unfolded and became what it is.”
Like most of the cast, Feuerriegel did the majority of his own stunts.
“You can’t fake it when you’re doing the slow-cam,” he said. “We all got to be so good at fight sequences, we learned them five minutes before we did them.”
The show wrapped in ­October, and Feuerriegel has relocated to Los Angeles for audition season.
For his next role, he’s looking for a part he can completely lose himself in — similar to Heath Ledger’s disappearing act as the ­Joker in “The Dark Knight.”
“I don’t want to base decisions on things I’ve done in the past. I want something new and fresh to put myself into,” he said.
He remains humbled at how “Spartacus” became a global phenomenon.
“When people come up and say they love the show — I’m still not used to it. I get shy and reserved when people come up to me. I don’t like to grandstand. I had no idea it would turn out to be this gigantic beast,” he said. “I am so grateful.”


'Spartacus' star Dan Feuerriegel spills the secrets of the epic finale
Saturday, April 13, 2013




Warning: Do not read if you have not watched the series finale of Starz' “Spartacus: War of the Damned.” Major spoilers ahead! Take heed!

In the series finale of “Spartacus: War of the Damned,” something shocking happened – beyond the epic battle scenes and heartrending farewells.

Somebody actually survived.

And that somebody was gladiator turned rebel leader Agron himself, played by fan favorite Dan Feuerriegel.

The Aussie actor told the Herald last week that about halfway through the season, series creator, executive producer and writer Steven DeKnight informed him his proud warrior would survive the final battle.

DeKnight wanted a major character who had been with the show since season one to prevail - “just as a little bit of a ray of hope,” Feuerriegel said.

I was very excited to know I was going to survive. That being said, you have no idea how often minds are changed to go for better story … and I didn't know who was going to survive with me,” he said.

Agron, along with his beloved Nasir (Pana Hema Taylor), Laeta (Anna Hutchison) and Sybil (Gwendoline Taylor), escaped the Romans.

Agron and Nasir tended to Spartacus (Liam McIntyre) in his final moments. As Agron, Feuerriegel got the last word on this epic journey, telling a dying Spartacus: “One day Rome shall fade and crumble. Yet you shall always be remembered in the hearts of all who yearn for freedom.”

The last moments of the episode were his favorite to shoot.
It definitely resonated with me so much," he said. "It was kind of art imitating life. I’ve been on the show since the very, very beginning, and Spartacus finally passing and me being there, part of the scene, and it was my last day on unit, and it kind of felt like the end. It had been four fantastic years, and this is the scene that goes, 'We are done.’ It was a very emotional experience. I didn’t have to do anything but be in the moment – It was my favorite scene this season."
As for rival Castus' (Blessing Mokgohloa) death, Feuerriegel said Agron came to terms with the pirate's feelings for Nasir.
The way I took it was – 'I know how you feel, and I forgive you for everything. I completely understand what you went through. I love him, too.' “
The actor revealed a moment was trimmed from the final cut.
“Before I sprint off, I touch him on the leg (in a gesture that says), 'Rest in peace, buddy,' but I think it slowed the tempo too much.”
As for Agron's jealousy this season, he said, “Men being men, instead of talking about things, they get angry, grumpy and throw things around. He was terrified of losing Nasir, even though Nasir insistently said, 'I love you, stop complaining.' I don’t think he was scared of Nasir sleeping with Castus. Losing the love connection – that was for Agron more terrifying.”
There's some speculation that there could be a Caesar spinoff in the works, and history notes that Crassus (Simon Merrells) and his minions hunted down as many of the remaining survivors of Spartacus' rebellion as they could find. Agron, for his part, would have a score to settle with Caesar (Todd Lasance).
As for any possible appearances in a spinoff, he said, “You never know until the ink is dry. It might be interesting to explore.

Agron is now the leader and he has to man up. And he's learned from the best – Crixus and Spartacus.”

As for those who cried during the finale – like this writer - Feuerriegel understands our pain:
“You make an emotional connection to (a TV show), you get absorbed in it. And when it's no longer there, you get emotional. There's no shame in anyone crying … I remember getting emotional watching an 'X-Files' episode when Mulder finally discovered that his sister was dead. … That's the thing with art. It's an escape, and you get connected to it."
While many of his co-stars perished onscreen in glorious gushes of fake blood, Feuerreigel bears no “survivor's guilt.”
I have plenty of time in other TV shows and films to die," he said. "I love the way I exited the show. Agron and Nasir were a beacon of hope for two seasons, and they ended that way, and it will make so many people happy, and I'm really cool with it.”

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento